Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Two things: FarmVille love and Local vs. Sustainable

Hello! So another week gone by. I want to try and incorporate some images into my blogs so I decided to take a picture of my farm on FarmVille. Yes yes I know, FarmVille notifications are annoying and you hate it when it floods your home space on your facebook page.
I understand your concerns about this game. I am not one to play silly games or have applications on facebook, BUT I am now really into FarmVille. You get to harvest crops, tend to animals and harvest some cool trees and decorate your farm in a neat way. The goal is to make money and get ribbons for different tasks. Any one who's been addicted to The Sims, stay clear of this game if you're short of time. Anyways I thought I might show you what half of my farm looks like now....i have some grapes, potatoes and corn freshly planted. My ultimate goal is to finally reach level 25 so I can harvest sunflowers, because sunflower seeds are my favourite snack (WOW, I jsut read that over and I sound like a HUGE nerd! Really I don't care what level I'm on it's a cute and fun game anyways!). So far, I've just been harvesting a lot of grapes for wine! And they're profitable!

Okay so the main topic, last week I stated the difference between Local and Organic food. There is another common misconception about local and sustainable food. They are in fact also different from one another. WWF is doing a campaign that is called "Localicious" and it promotes eating food that is locally grown to help out the environment. Here is their direct paragraphs that state what Local and sustainable mean separately.

"What is local and sustainable food?

Local food is grown close to where it's being consumed, so it doesn't travel far distances to reach our plates. When food is transported over long distances - especially if by planes or trucks that burn fossil fuel energy - it contributes to global warming and pollution. Consider that the average food product travels 2,000 km before it reaches your home. Now multiply that by each food item you eat each day! That's a lot of fuel, which also means a lot of greenhouse gas emissions. Although local food isn't always available due to seasonality, it's all about doing your best. Every choice you make has an environmental impact and can help lower your carbon footprint.

Sustainable food is not always local, but is produced in a socially responsible manner, with lower impact on the environment. Some sustainable food practices even help protect and enhance wildlife habitats and biodiversity. Look for products like sustainable coffee beans. Although they may travel thousands of miles to reach your table in Canada, coffee is grown on perennial bushes that don't require plowing, which keeps soil carbon stored in the ground. They do not require refrigeration until they're roasted, which means they can travel in more efficient vessels like trains. Other environmental issues to consider when shopping for food include, waste, packaging and recycling.

Local sustainable food: When local sustainable choices are not available, consider purchasing either local or sustainable food to make greener shopping decisions."
(DIRECTLY FROM: http://community.wwf.ca/ActionDetail.cfm?ActionId=44)


Happy Farming!
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment