Monday, November 9, 2009

Ah, me. 'Tis (beginning to be) the season where local foods are less bountiful; i was sad to see that my selection of local greens had shrunk considerably on saturday, when i went to do my shop. I have therefore become familiar with 'red chard', which for some reason had long been an intimidating vegetable for me. Who knew how 'candied' those red stems can be? I didn't.

I regret that I have not been experimenting much with food these days - merely cooking something - anything at all -to bring for lunch during practicum to save me from Scarborough's fast food options, including the nutrient-deficient cafeteria food -- (this is really something that has not changed AT ALL since i was in highschool, the dreck that is on offer for these growing minds to eat! Terrible!)

In any event, the menu for lunch has been brown rice with a variation on additions, like red chard for example. Throw in some chopped egg, feta, onion, celery, some spice, and there you have my hasty but fairly tasty locally sourced meal. The rice is from the states, but all other ingredients come from Ontario...




No comments:

Post a Comment