Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Locally Burlington!

Hello!
It is Tuesday and after my first day of observation at my practicum school, my parents took me out for dinner. So, for the month of practicum, I will be living at home in Burlington, therefore as much as getting free food is awesome, this assignment will be more difficult considering I really don't have much control over our groceries that are purchased. I talked to my mom about this and how I was involved in this project, and she mentioned that she does try to buy local food when she can like produce and poultry. For instance, for lunch today, my fruit was harvested in Ontario but then I went out for dinner and who knows where the 2 for 1 chicken wings came from.

I was thinking at the restaurant what I can do to somehow support something local since I did not know where the food was purchased. The best idea I came up with was drinking a beer or wine from some Micro Brewery from Toronto. Of course there were none available so instead of going for my normal Keith's, I got a Sleeman that is brewed in Guelph. That still raises the question of where all of the ingredients were obtained from.....but from what I have read so far on the internet (most?) ingredients are obtained from within Canada.
This project will be interesting and I think it will be beneficial while living in Burlington because I can educate my family more about what we are eating and discuss with them the social and environmental aspects that surround this issue. This is good instead of me just living by my self, I can educate three other people other than my self about this issue of local farming and supporting local farmers.
Anyways to conclude, I am going to have a lot of fun checking my labels when I make my lunch in the morning and trying as much as I can to accompany my mom at the grocery store and maybe head to the local market if I can.
Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment