Monday, November 2, 2009

Frozen bananas, root veggies with stems, and Groundhog Day! Oh Me!






I check my freezer. I find two things. Well, three things if you count ice. The first thing is frozen bananas (not from the farm in Milton). The next thing I find is no surprise: Pizza Pops. I've been on a perpetual Pizza Pop diet since September 10. I decide it's time for a trip to the grocery store. Now all I have to do is find one.

I never shop during regular business hours so the closest grocery store is Metro. I know how to find hte pizza pops, but I'm always a little lost in the produce section. my mission is to find the ingredients for October Soup: turnip, sweet potato, celery root, parsnip, etc... Basically a bunch of things I've never seen before (let alone paid money for).

First on my list: carrots. Wandering abou the produce section, I begin to wonder if there is any kind of system employed for displaying fruits and vegetables; there doesn't seem to be. My mission is starting to feel more like a scavenger hunt.

I heard somewhere that toxic chemicals are used to burn off carrot stems, so I'm trying to find carrots with stems. I find a bag of carrots - the big, thick, bitter kind my sister feeds her horse. No stems. Product of USA. No luck. Then I see a bag of baby carrots. No stems. Product of USA. No luck. I finally find a bunch of carrots with stems. They're organic, but they're product of USA and cost $2.99/bunch. I'm sick of looking for carrots and fairly sure I can find other local ingredients for this soup, so I grab a couple of bunches and start looking for turnips.

You would think that root vegetables would be beside other root vegetables, but they're not. So, I go back to the beginning of the produce section and start over again. There I see a bunch of carrots. WITH stems. Not organic. Product of Canada. $1.49/bunch. I go back to the organic section, empty my carrot bag and head back to the beginning of the produce section to begin again, again.

I'm starting to think this eating local thing isn't as easy as I thought it was going to be.



(Next week I PROMISE! October Soup recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment